Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie announced Wednesday, Jan. 18, that voters can now access the Caucus Finder, an easy-to-use, online service to assist Minnesotans in locating the precinct caucus of their choice in their neighborhood Tuesday, Feb. 7.
"The Caucus Finder is an important service that helps citizens take ownership of our democracy," said Secretary Mark Ritchie. "Minnesotans can access the 2012 Caucus Finder at http://caucusfinder.sos.state.mn.us, to find the precinct caucus times and locations provided by the political parties. Precinct caucus meetings are a great place for citizens to engage in Minnesota's political process at the 'grassroots' level by participating in discussions that impact a wide range of public policy and political issues with their neighbors."
The caucuses are open to the public and provided by four of Minnesota's political parties, Republican, Independence, Green, and Democratic-Farmer Labor. During these meetings, political parties will begin the process of selecting candidates for the 2012 election. Caucus attendees are encouraged to offer policy ideas (resolutions) that may go on to become party policy positions. Caucus attendees interested in voting, offering resolutions or serving as a delegate at a precinct caucus must be eligible to vote in the 2012 general election, live in the precinct and be in general agreement with the principles of the political party.
For additional information about the upcoming caucuses and contact information for each of Minnesota's political parties visit www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=886, to access a caucus brochure developed by this office.
Below are some area caucus locations. Check online for YOUR location. (Or call the Tri-County News office and we'll help you find yours).
* Lynden Township Hall (Co Rd 44 and Hwy. 143), Kimball
* Litchfield Middle School (340 E. 10th St.), Litchfield.
* Eden Valley High School (298 Brooks St.), Eden Valley.
* Kimball Elementary School Gym (405 Hazel Ave), Kimball.
* Litchfield Senior High Cafeteria (901 N. Gilman Ave.), Litchfield.
* Paynesville Middle School Media Center (795 W. State Hwy. 23), Paynesville.
* Go to www.mnip.org for your location, and for information about participating in the caucus online.
* American Legion (304 10th Ave. S.) Buffalo.