Social Security Q & A

Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
Hits: 0
Social Security Q & A By Steven Thayer, Social Security Administration Question: As a senior, my only income is Supplemental Security Income (SSI). My brother recently died and left me a little money. Will this extra money stop my SSI benefits? Answer: It all depends on the amoung of your inheritance. It is considered income for the month you received the inheritance. You will have to report that and we will adjust your benefit for the month accordingly. If you keep the money into the next month, it then because a part of your resources. To get SSI benefits, you are limited to $2,000 in total resources, although there are exceptions. Call Social Security at (800) 772-1213 (TTY (800) 325-0778) and report the inheritance. We will tell you how your eligibility will be affected. For more information, visit Question: My dad receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. He soon will be coming to live with me. Do we have to report the move to Social Security? Answer: Yes. He should report any change in living arrangements within 10 days. The change could affect his benefit amount. Failure to report the change could result in a penalty being deducted from his SSI benefits. Also, we need his correct address so we can send correspondence. Please have him call Social Security at (800) 772-1213 (TTY (800) 325-0778). Or, he can report the change by mail or in person at a Social Security office. For more information, go to Web site