Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
Between floods and budget deficits, we've spent a lot of time this year discussing challenges and problems. Those issues certainly need to be addressed, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we are blessed in many ways.
I've always thought that it is fitting that delicious and abundant food is one of the central themes of Thanksgiving? Our national holiday dedicated to gratitude. After all, that food we enjoy so much on Thanksgiving is one of the many blessings we receive courtesy of our world-class agriculture and food sector. Of course, the list of reasons to be thankful for agriculture goes well beyond that one-day feast.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, we Americans spend a smaller share of our household budget on food than the residents of nearly any other country.
& Thanks to our farm and food sector, the vast majority of Americans don't wake up each morning wondering where we will get enough food for our family.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, the farm and food sector has remained a pillar of strength and a source of optimism as other areas of our economy have been hit hard.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, tens of thousands of Minnesotans (many living in the Twin Cities and other urban areas) have good-paying jobs.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, Minnesotans are on average less reliant on fossil fuels than the residents of other states.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, we have reasons to be optimistic about the future of our natural resources even as we face the daunting task of feeding billions more people in the coming decades.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, it's a rare and newsworthy event when people get sick from eating food.
* Thanks to our farm and food sector, we have an ever-increasing variety of options (conventional, organic, locally grown, etc.) when it comes to food purchases.
So this month, as you are listing off the reasons to give thanks, take a moment to give thanks for the jobs, economic activity, and good food provided to us by our farmers and farm businesses. They make a huge contribution to our high quality of life in this state and country.