Tricounty News

Firearm safety class sign-up

Firearm safety sign-up will be July 28, 2013 from 7-8 p.m. at the Kimball Rod and Gun Club for anyone turning 12 BEFORE Dec. 31, 2013, or older. Birth Certificate required this night. Classes will be held every Wednesday and Sunday from 7-9 p.m., until field day on Saturday, Aug. 17. MUST be able to attend field day! 

Call Charlie Serbus at (320) 761-6507 or Carly Serbus at (320) 266-6225 with any questions.

Summer heat can be deadly to pets (3)

As the dangerous heat returns and the hot days of summer come upon us, doctors from BluePearl Veterinary Partners recommend taking certain precautions to ensure your pet doesn’t suffer from any heat-related injuries. 

“It’s less than a week into summer and we’ve already seen multiple cases of heatstroke at several of our locations,” said Dr. Neil Shaw, chief medical officer of BluePearl. “It’s very important for people to remember that their pets are sensitive to the heat.”

BluePearl doctors recommend for pets to be kept in an air conditioned environment during the heat of the day and to limit strenuous activities such as running and playing. 

“Focus on outdoor activities either early in the morning or late in the day,” Shaw said. 

If your pet does become overheated, spray the animal down with room temperature or cool water, but never ice water. Ice cold water causes a decrease in blood flow to the skin and heat can’t escape the body, which makes heat exhaustion symptoms worse.

Don’t give sports drinks or electrolyte supplements to pets. Dogs cool off by panting and they do not sweat like people. Supplements like sports drinks can actually harm animals and make pets sick.

Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and dark red gums are all signs of heat related distress. If your pet is panting uncontrollably or collapses, take the animal to your veterinarian or nearest emergency veterinary hospital immediately. 

Pet owners should also remember to make sure their pets have access to plenty of water at all times. Also, never leave your pet locked in a vehicle with the windows closed.

“Ultimately, any time you feel your pet may be in need of medical assistance, please don’t hesitate to get them to your veterinarian as soon as possible,” said Shaw. “Time is often the difference between life and death.”

Damaging winds early Friday morning

W-IMG 6806In the early hours of Friday, June 21, a severe thunderstorm passed through Paynesville, Rockville, Luxemburg, and surrounding communities. St. Wendelin’s Catholic Church in Luxemburg, on Highway 15 between Kimball and St. Cloud, suffered visible damage. Many large trees and power lines went down in the wind. A corner of the church roof was ripped off, landing in the ball field behind the church. The winds, thought to be 90 m.p.h., toppled large tombstones in the parish cemetery as if they were dominoes. By mid-morning Friday, the roof was being repaired, trees were being cut up and moved, and debris was being cleaned up. The 140-year-old church sustained some water damage to the plaster ceiling inside. Staff photo by Jean Doran Matua. 


Motorcycle accident June 16

On June 16, 2013, the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office and Gold Cross ambulance responded to 650th Avenue and 225th Street for a motorcycle personal injury accident. Chad Savoy, 41-years old, from Dassel, was driving a 2005 Harley Davidson traveling northbound on 650th when he drove off the road and into the ditch, causing the motorcycle to tip over. Chad’s wife, Stephanie Savoy, 43-years old, from Dassel was a passenger on the motorcycle and was taken to the Hutchinson Hospital for minor injuries.

Alcohol was a factor and Chad Savoy was brought to the Meeker County Jail where he is being held for DWI and Criminal Vehicular Operation charges. This crash is under investigation by the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office.

Slough fire near Lake Francis

Sunday, June 16, 2013, at 12:31 p.m., the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office, Kimball Fire Department, and Dassel Fire Department responded to a report of a slough on fire across the road from 32706 742nd Avenue, near Lake Francis. The fire was believed to be caused by a compost pile that was on the edge of the slough that possibly spontaneously combusted. Approximately 15 to 20 acres of slough grass burned. No structures or buildings were damaged.