This is a reminder that the American Red Cross will hold a Blood Drive at the Watkins Village Hall from 1-7 p.m. Wednesday, July 24.
Callers are scheduling appointments, but more donors are needed. Please encourage a family member, friend, or neighbor to join you or to consider donating. Of the population that qualifies to be donors, only about 5 percent do so. Blood is something you can give away to save lives and your body replaces it by itself in a short time.
In order to donate:
• Individuals must be at least 17 years old (16 with parental permission), be healthy, and weigh a minimum of 110 pounds.
• Donors can give once every 56 days, up to 6 times a year. Double-red donors can give every
112 days or three times a year.
Once a donor has made the commitment to give blood, here are a few steps to help ensure a good donation experience:
• Eat iron rich foods to boost your iron level.
• Get a good night’s sleep.
• Eat a nutritious breakfast and lunch.
• Drink extra water and fluids to help replace the volume you will donate. Avoid caffeinated beverages.
• Bring along a photo ID.
If you know your schedule for the day, you can make an appointment by going to www.redcross
blood. org, or call Theresia at (320) 764-7251, or Betty at (320)
764-9163. If you cannot schedule prior to the day, just walk in anytime between 1 and 6:45 p.m. You are needed.
The need is constant. The gratification is instant. Give blood. If you cannot give at this site because of previous commitments, watch your newspaper for other area blood drives.