Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
The Board of Education met in regular session on August 13, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. with Frank Eder, Shelley Kern, Sarah Kuechle, Julie Meyer, JoAnn Rademacher, Jeremy Willner, and Superintendent Mark Messman present. Nick Thielen, Bruce Kiehn and Rob Pederson were also present. Member absent: Bob Stenger
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Frank Eder.
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The corrected agenda changing the construction meeting date from August 15 to August 16 was approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
The consent agenda was approved on a motion by Sarah Kuechle and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the July 23, 2012, Regular School Board Meeting
-Approved a classified contract with Megan Kuechle, Special Education Assistant, Group III, Step 1, effective September 4, 2012 to May 30, 2013
-Approved a classified contract with Kristin Desm, Community Youth Asset Development Coordinator, Group VI, Step 12, effective August 15, 2012 to June 30, 2013
-Accepted the resignation of Jaimie Anderson, Lead Building Custodian, effective August 6, 2012
-Second Reading and Acceptance of Policy #3125, Post Issuance Debt Compliance
-Notice of the Following Board Committee Meeting(s):
Elementary Construction on Thursday, August 16 at 10:00 AM (Elem.)
Secondary Construction on Thursday, August 16 at 1:00 PM (KA Trailer)
The August 13, 2012, bills, checks #54631 through #54715 electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $259,388.58 were presented and approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Sarah Kuechle. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND 240,793.08
FOOD SERVICE 4,046.86
DEBT SERVICE 5,250.00
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. First Reading and Call for Public Comment of Revised Policy #8100, School Board Officers. Will be on next meeting's consent agenda for approval.
2. First Reading and Call for Public Comment of Revised Policy #1116, Public Participation. Will be on next meeting's consent agenda for approval.
3. Building project update was given by Superintendent Mark Messman and Business Manager Nick Thielen which included Eden Valley and Watkins Elem. details of ongoing progress with paint, ceilings, parking, and mechanical and EVW Sec. details of precast walls, masonry, mechanical, and parking.
4. The Board went over school district goals 2012-13 with discussion led by Superintendent Mark Messman. Will be on next meeting's agenda for approval.
5. The Board reviewed secondary goals 2012-13 with discussion led by Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn. Will be on next meeting's agenda for approval.
6. The Board looked over elementary school goals 2012-13 with discussion led by Elementary Principal Rob Pederson. Will be on next meeting's agenda for approval.
7. Staff will report for workshop on August 27-29. Open House is on August 29.
8. Elementary Principal Rob Pederson commented on updates to the elementary handbooks: 2012-13 Elementary School Staff Handbook, 2012-13 Elementary School Policy Handbook, 2012-13 Elementary School Student and 2012-13 Elementary School Student/Parent Handbook. Rob asked Board to review and send any changes/corrections to him. Handbooks will be approved at next month's regular meeting.
9. Due to conflicts with Veteran's Day and board election results, a change in board calendar's November meeting date from Monday, November 12 (Veterans Day) to Tuesday, November 13 was approved on a motion by JoAnn Rademacher and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
10. The Board tabled discussion until later in the meeting regarding establishing a timeframe for a tour of the facilities and construction project.
11. The following board member committee reports were given:
Sunshine Committee report given by Shelley Kern.
IMPACT Committee report was given by Julie Meyer and she informed the Board that Kristin Desm was hired as the Community Youth Asset Development Coordinator.
Classified Negotiations: First meeting was held and language items were discussed. Next two meeting dates are set for September 5 and September 18, both at 6:30 p.m.
12. Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn reported on enrollment activity and online school newspaper.
13. Elementary Principal Rob Pederson reported on enrollment numbers, school schedule and fall athletic activities start up.
14. Superintendent Mark Messman reported on the following issues: SEE (Schools for Equity in Education) meeting, board election filing deadline of Tuesday, August 14, transportation meeting with bus contractors. Superintendent goals will be at the next meeting.
15. Other business:
Staff Potluck supper at Eden Valley Sportsmen's Park on Browns Lake is scheduled for Sunday, August 26, 5-7:00 p.m.
Board Tours of facilities are scheduled for Sunday, August 26 starting at 3:00 p.m. with Mark Messman and a second option on Monday, August 27,starting at 5:30 p.m. with Nick Thielen.
16. Items for August 27, 2012, Regular Board Meeting agenda:
a. Food-Service Updates
b. Building Project Updates
c. Athletic/Activity Updates
d. Update And Progress of Classified Contract Negotiations
e. Tour Of Facilities
The meeting was adjourned at 8:49 p.m. on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012.