Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
The Board of Education met in regular session on July 23, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. with Frank Eder, Shelley Kern, Julie Meyer, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, and Superintendent Messman present. Nick Thielen, Bruce Kiehn, Rob Pederson were also present. Members absent: Sarah Kuechle. Jeremy Willner.
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Frank Eder.
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The agenda was approved on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
The consent agenda was approved on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the June 25, 2012, Regular School Board Meeting
-Approved an extra-curricular contract with Dave Schneider, Jr. High Football Coach, By Donations for $1,000.00
-Approved a classified contract with Patricia Milliman, Seasonal Cleaner, Group II, Step 3, effective July 9, 2012, to June 30, 2013.
-Designate Official Newspaper-Tri-County News.
-Designate Official Depository And Sites For Deposits Of School District Fund:
State Bank In Eden Valley: Official Depository
Farmers State Bank Of Watkins
Minnesota School Boards Association Liquid Asset Fund
-Approved Membership In Minnesota School Boards Association (MSBA) For 2012-13 (Enclosure #2)
-Authorized Student Activity Account Signatures: High School & Elementary Principals, Assistant Business Manager And District Office Clerk 2012-13
-Authorized Business Manager/Assistant Business Manager To Make Payments Of Bills Prior To Board Approval
-Authorized Business Manager & Superintendent The Authority To Approve Contracts On Behalf Of Board And School District For Contracts That Fall Within 2012-13 School Budget Guidelines
-Approved Membership 2012-13 Resource Training & Solutions
-Approved 2012-13 Secondary School Student Handbook
-Approved 2012-13 Secondary School Staff Handbook
-Approved 2012-13 Secondary Co-Curricular Handbook
-Approved The Community Youth Asset Development Coordinator-Job Description (Enclosure #4)
-Approved 2012-2013 Membership in Schools for Equity in Education (Enclosure #5)
-Notice Of The Following Board Committee Meeting(s): (Board Room Unless Noted)
Classified staff negotiations on Wednesday, August 8th @ 6:00 p.m.
Jeremy Willner arrived at 7:04 p.m.
Sarah Kuechle arrived at 7:07 p.m.
The July 23, 2012, bills, checks #54514 through #54630 electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $1,573,915.85 were presented and approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND 316,916.55
FOOD SERVICE 2,633.69
DEBT REDEMPTION 457,157.39
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. Member Shelley Kern introduced the Resolution Authorizing Issuance, Awarding Sale, Prescribing The Form And Details And Providing For The Payment Of $1,435,000 General Obligation School Building Refunding Bonds, Series 2012a and moved its adoption, which motion was seconded by Member Sarah Kuechle. Upon vote being taken, the following voted in favor thereof: Shelley Kern, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, Julie Meyer, Sarah Kuechle, Jeremy Willner, and Frank Eder and the following voted against the same: None whereupon the resolution was declared duly passed and adopted. The complete resolution is on file in the District Office.
2. The Board approved lunch and breakfast prices, extra-curricular participation and admissions fees for 2012-13 on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by Jeremy Willner. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Business Manager Nick Thielen had insurance proposals for workers' compensation and property insurance coverage for FY2012-13. Property insurance was awarded to WRM on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
Workers' compensation was award to RAM on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Member Jeremy Willner introduced the Resolution Relating To The Election Of School Board Members And Calling The School District General Election and moved its adoption. The motion was seconded by Member Shelley Kern and upon vote being taken thereof: the following voted in favor thereof: Shelley Kern, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, Julie Meyer, Sarah Kuechle, Jeremy Willner and Frank Eder and the following voted against the same: None whereupon said resolution was passed and adopted. The complete resolution in on file in the District Office.
5. First Reading and call for public comment of New Policy #3125, Post Issuance Debt Compliance.
6. Administrative contracts for Bruce Kiehn, Ralph Lambert, Kris Latcham, Rob Pederson and Nick Thielen and essential employee contracts for Marsha Davidson and Cathy Wuertz were approved on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by Sarah Kuechle. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Building project update and information were given by Superintendent Mark Messman and Business Manager Nick Thielen.
8. The following board committee reports were given:
Sunshine Committee report was given by Sarah Kuechle;
Classified Negotiations report was given by Mark Messman;
IMPACT (Bremer) Grant Committee report was given by Julie Meyer.
9. Building Grounds-Construction meetings are on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
10. Secondary School Principal Bruce Kiehn reported on enrollment interest and also talked about a pre-school get-together to meet new staff to be held at Browns Lake.
11. Superintendent Messman reported on the following issues: his first month on the job, EVW receipt of another year of the PACT 4 21st Century grant, updates on MDE and MMR ratings for school systems, intentions of soliciting school/community feed back from entry plan.
12. Other business: Jeremy Willner mentioned Legion Baseball won district championship.
13. Develop agenda for August 13, 2012, Regular Board Meeting: Building & Grounds, Classified Contract Negotiations, District-Elementary-Secondary goals.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:04 p.m. on a motion by JoAnn Rademacher and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012.