Published on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
The Board of Education met in regular session on April 23, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. with Frank Eder, Shelley Kern, Sarah Kuechle, Julie Meyer, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger and Superintendent Peterson present. Nick Thielen, Bruce Kiehn, Rob Pederson, and Mark Messman were also present. Member absent: Jeremy Willner.
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Frank Eder.
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The agenda was approved on a motion by Sarah Kuechle and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
The revised consent agenda adding under Resignations letter of resignation from Harlan Odegaard was approved on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the March 19, 2012, Regular School Board Meeting
-Accepted the retirement resignation of Ray Tri, Physical Education/Health Instructor, effective May 25, 2012-the end of the 2011-12 school year
-Accepted the retirement resignation of Peggy Plath, Elementary Instructor, effective May 25, 2012-the end of the 2011-12 school year
-Accepted the retirement resignation of Nancy Johnson, Social Studies Instructor, effective May 25, 2012-the end of the 2011-12 school year
-Accepted the resignation of Harlan Odegaard, Eden Valley Elementary Lead Custodian, effective May 11, 2012
-Approved Ethernet Transport Watkins Elementary (10 mg)
-Approved Local Government Pay Equity Act Compliance
-Notice of following Board Committee Meeting(s) (Board Room unless noted)
Policy Committee Meeting, April 18, 3:30 p.m.
The April 23, 2012, bills, checks #54054 through #54245 electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $517,424.37 were presented and approved on a motion by Sarah Kuechle and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND 393,838.18
FOOD SERVICE 47,458.45
DEBT REDEMPTION 100.00
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. Superintendent Larry Peterson reported on student enrollments with a total of 915 students enrolled.
2. Tammy Winter, Mary Ann Holdvogt and Sharon Borgert presented Math Curriculum report and asked for adoption of new math curriculum. The Board approved the new Math Curriculum on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Tara Ostendorf, from Sauk River Watershed discussed with the Board a grant from SRWS and our involvement in a prairie meadow and woodland project. Tara left a contract for the school board to review and sign.
4. Jeremy Willner arrived at 7:38 p.m.
5. Business Manager Nick Thielen updated the Board on the building project, architect, other project items, and project contracts. The Board approved to accept the termination letter from Perkins & Will with stipulation to add dollar amount for payment in full on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
The Board accepted the contracts from Anderson-Johnson Associates, Inc.; Larson Engineering Inc. and Dunham Mechanical Electrical Engineering on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
Ralph Lambert, Head Building and Grounds, gave an update on two pieces of property the school might be interested in purchasing. School will contact the property owners.
Ground breaking ceremony at Eden Valley Elementary and Watkins Elementary will be on Thursday, May 10, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
6. Principal Bruce Kiehn updated the Board on the Dean of Students/Activities Director search and the interviewing proceedings. Interviews are scheduled for Wednesday, April 25, from 1:30 p.m. through 8:00 p.m.
7. The Board approved Capital Outlay 2012-2017 on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
8. The Board approved the third year option of the Transportation Contract for 2012-13 on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Sarah Kuechle. Motion carried unanimously.
9. The Board approved a change in the summer custodial position, hiring of a Summer Custodian/Cleaner and hiring of a Seasonal Secondary School Cleaner on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn and Elementary Principal Rob Pederson gave an update on the 6th grade transition to our high school which will occur on Friday, April 27.
11. The following board committee reports were given:
Sunshine Committee report was given by Sarah Kuechle.
IMPACT (Bremer Grant) report was given by Julie Meyer.
Curriculum Advisory (PER) report was given by Larry Peterson.
Policy Committee report was given by Larry Peterson.
12. Elementary Principal Rob Pederson reported on elementary staffing, testing, numbers and activities.
13. Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn updated the Board on high school activities and staffing. The Board approved a new 1.000 FTE Special Education/Physical Education Instructor position on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
14. Superintendent Peterson reported on the following issues: legislative happenings, budget adjustments, and other school district happenings.
15. Items for May 21, 2012, meeting's agenda: building project, Literacy Plan, policies, budget adjustments, Dean of Students/Activities Director contract, teacher tenure.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:04 p.m. on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
JoAnn Rademacher, Clerk
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, May 31, 2012.