School Board Proceedings
Public School #463
January 9, 2013
The Board of Education met in regular session on January 9, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. with Bob Flaschenriem, Shelley Kern, Sarah Kuechle, Julie Meyer, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, Jeremy Willner, and Superintendent Mark Messman present. Bruce Kiehn, Rob Pederson, and Cathy Wuertz were also present.
The meeting was called to order by Acting Chairperson
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The agenda was approved on a motion by JoAnn Rademacher and seconded by Bob Stenger. Motion carried unanimously.
The consent agenda was approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the December 17, 2012, Regular School Board Meeting
-Accepted a donation of $500.00 from Watkins Lions Club, Inc. for Grades 4&5 Book Club
-Accepted a donation of $300.00 from Watkins Lions Club, Inc. for Elementary Literacy Program
-Approved second reading and final adoption of the following new policies:
Policy #1500 Waste Reduction & Recycling
Policy #5020 Graduation Standards and Assessments
Policy #6020 Instructional Curriculum
Policy #6025 Testing Accommodations
-Approved second reading and final adoption of the following policy revisions:
Policy #2500 Crisis Management
Policy #3600 Transportation of Public School Students
Policy #5000 Graduation Requirements
Policy #5740 Immunization Requirements
Policy #5950 Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records
-Approved Second Reading and Final Adoption of the Secondary Registration Guide
-Approve Request For Leave Under the Family Medical Act (maternity leave) from Kayla Frericks, Elementary Special Education Teacher, for six weeks beginning approximately April 11, 2013
-Notice of following Board Committee Meeting(s) (Board Room unless noted)
Construction @ KA Trailer on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m.
The January 9, 2013, bills, checks 55459 through #55597 electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $2,427,200.21 were presented and approved on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND 272,139.49
FOOD SERVICE 1,576.61
COMM. EDUC. 5,391.67
BLDG. CONSTR. 408,289.30
DEBT SERVICE 1,052,406.07
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. Superintendent Mark Messman reviewed enrollment numbers with current enrollment at 930 students.
2. JoAnn Rademacher nominated Sarah Kuechle for Chairperson.
3. Shelley Kern moved that the nominations cease. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Sarah Kuechle took over as Chairperson.
5. JoAnn Rademacher nominated Shelley Kern for Vice Chairperson.
6. Sarah Kuechle moved that the nominations cease. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Shelley Kern nominated JoAnn Rademacher for Clerk.
8. Sarah Kuechle moved that the nominations cease. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Shelley Kern nominated Bob Stenger for Treasurer.
10. Sarah Kuechle moved that the nominations cease. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Superintendent Mark Messman confirmed with the Board the regular board meetings for 2013 on Wednesdays with start time at 6:30 p.m. (with Open Forum beginning at 6:00 p.m.) on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month as follows:
February 13, 27
August 14, 28
December 4, 18
12. Superintendent Mark Messman will designate Open Forum leaders.
13. The Board authorized Eden Valley State Bank as depository for District Funds on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
14. The Board authorized Chair, Clerk and Treasurer to sign payroll, accounts payable and student activity accounts payable on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
15. The Business Manager, Superintendent, and Accounting Clerk were appointed as officials authorized to sign State Bank of Eden Valley Money Market Savings Account transactions on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
16. The Superintendent and Business Manager were appointed as officials authorized to sign Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund checks on a motion by Bob Flaschenriem and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
17. The Business Manager and Payroll Specialist were appointed as officials authorized to sign Funds Transfers on a motion by Bob Flaschenriem and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
18. The Board designated the official school newspaper as Tri-County News on a motion by
Shelley Kern and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
19. The Board designated the school district’s legal counsel as Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney, P.A. and Rupp & Anderson, Squires & Waldspurger, P.A. on a motion by JoAnn Rademacher and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
20. The Board approved the Board Member Compensation at $40.00 per board meeting for board members, $80.00 per all-day meetings for board members, and $50.00 monthly for board chair and board mileage reimbursement at the IRS rate on a motion by JoAnn Rademacher and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
21. The following committee appointments were made on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Shelley Kern. Motion carried unanimously.
Organizational Committee Board Member(s) Appointed
School Appeals JoAnn Rademacher
Building and Grounds/Energy Bob Stenger, Bob Flaschenriem
Community Education Committee Julie Meyer, Jeremy Willner-Alternate
Continuing Education Sarah Kuechle
Curriculum & Instructional Advisory (PER) JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Flaschenriem
Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) Sarah Kuechle
Eden Valley-Watkins Area Foundation Jeremy Willner
Finance Bob Stenter
IMPACT Julie Meyer
Labor Management Committee on Insurances (LMCI) Bob Stenger, Bob Flaschenriem
Meet and Confer Committee Shelley Kern, Bob Stenger, Bob Flaschenriem-Alternate
Minnesota Dept. of Education/NCLB Curriculum Liaison Julie Meyer
Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Sarah Kuechle
Negoatiations 1. Classified Sarah Kuechle, Jeremy Willner, Shelley Kern, JoAnn Rademacher-Alternate
Negotiations: 2. Certified Bob Stenger, Julie Meyer, Shelley Kern, Bob Flaschenriem-Alternate
Negotiations 3. Transportation JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Flaschenriem, Julie Meyer-Alternate
Negotiations: 4. Administrative Shelley Kern, Bob Stenger, Jeremy Willner, Sarah Kuechle-Alternate
Policy Committee Sarah Kuechle, JoAnn Rademacher, Julie Meyer-Alternate
Schools for Equity in Education (SEE) Bob Flaschenriem
Sunshine Committee Julie Meyer, Sarah Kuechle, Shelley Kern
22. The Board approved the school financial calendar for FY2013 on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
23. Member Jeremy Willner introduced the Resolution Of School Board Supporting Form B/C Application To Minnesota State High School League Foundation and moved its adoption.
The motion was seconded by Member JoAnn Rademacher, and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Shelley Kern, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, Julie Meyer, Bob Flaschenriem, Jeremy Willner, Sarah Kuechle; and the following voted against the same: None; whereupon the resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
24. First reading and call for public comment on the following new policy:
Policy #4565 Drug and Alcohol Testing
25. The most recent updates and timelines on the construction project were discussed. Lighting concern in the new parking area was discussed.
26. The following board committee reports were given: Sunshine Committee and IMPACT (Bremer Grant).
27. Elementary School Principal Rob Pederson gave a first semester report on elementary progress and issues, elementary staffing and student progress and issues.
28. Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn updated the Board on end of semester progress and issues at the secondary level including NHS Induction, Emily Sieben Benefit, one-act play, Snow Daze Week, Pennies for Patients, and positive comments on retreat.
29. Superintendent Messman reported on the following issues: upcoming legislative session, MSBA training opportunities, strategic planning, ALP (area learning program), crisis management, Health & Safety–OSHA report, and other matters.
30. Other business:
The Board approved the solicitation of bids on the sale of the school trailer on a motion by
Shelley Kern and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
The Board approved a three-year contract with KDV (Kern DeWenter Viere, Ltd.) for auditing services on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
Regarding the use of the elementary outdoor facilities for a community concert in August 2013, the Board deems it necessary to review the contract for use of the facility.
Sarah Kuechle discussed with the Board the replacement of the present board packet procedure with a web board packet. She reviewed a demo on web board packets and the cost was $2,000.
Bob Flaschenriem discussed the possibility of the board members getting EVW user gmail addresses.
31. Items for next regular board meeting’s agenda:
Annual school calendar 2013
Second reading and final adoption of Policy #4565 Drug and Alcohol Testing
Review contract for elementary facility use for August 2013 concert
Web Board Book
Open Forum Schedule
The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m. on a motion by
Shelley Kern and seconded by Jeremy Willner. Motion carried unanimously.
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013.