The Board of Education met in regular session on February 27, 2013, at 6:33 p.m. with Sarah Kuechle, Julie Meyer, JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, and Superintendent Mark Messman present. Cathy Wuertz, Bruce Kiehn, and Rob Pederson were also present. Members absent: Bob Flaschenriem, Shelley Kern, and Jeremy Willner.
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Sarah Kuechle.
Bob Flaschenriem arrived at 6:35.
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The agenda was approved on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
The consent agenda was approved on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the February 13, 2013, Regular School Board Meeting
-Approved the Memorandum of Agreement with Minnesota State Community and Technical College for PSEO courses
-Notice of following Board Committee Meeting(s) (Board Room unless noted)
Construction @KA Trailer on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m.
The February 27, 2013, bills, checks #55756 through #55849, electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $549,884.83 were presented and approved on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND $214,098.47
FOOD SERVICE 474.60
COMM. EDUCATION 10,468.18
BLDG CONSTR. 324,843.58
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. Building and construction updates and time frames information were presented to the Board by Superintendent Mark Messman.
2. The Board continued to discuss the electronic board book and viewed a webinar on conducting board meetings utilizing the electronic board book.
3. The revised 2012-13 budget was presented and approved on a motion by Bob Flaschenriem and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously
2012-2013 Revised 2012-2013 Revised
Total General Fund $8,294,575 $8,301.245
Food Service $529,512 580,173
Community Service $280,791 290,837
Debt Service $1,528,628 1,512,934
Building Construction 1,600 6,743,116
Trust Fund 12,000 11,850
Total All Funds $10,647,106 $17,440,155
4. Technology Coordinator, Denise DeJuliannie presented the District Technology Plan which the Board approved on a motion by Bob Flaschenriem and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
5. Discussion was continued on school school board development opportunities including MSBA school board self-evaluation. The Board approved to move forward and pursue participation in the Board self-evaluation process through MSBA on a motion by Bob Stenger and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Chairperson Sarah Kuechle presented school board goals which were reviewed and discussed
7. Member Sarah Kuechle introduced the Resolution Directing The Administration To Make Recommendations For Reductions In Programs And Positions And Reasons and moved its adoption. The motion was seconded by Member Bob Stenger and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: JoAnn Rademacher, Bob Stenger, Julie Meyer, Bob Flaschenriem and Sarah Kuechle; and the following voted against the same: None; and the following were absent: Jeremy Willner and Shelley Kern whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
8. The following board committee reports were given:
Sunshine Committee by Julie Meyer.
9. Elementary Principal Rob Pederson reported on elementary progress, programming and initiatives.
10. Secon-dary Principal Bruce Kiehn repor-ted on secondary progress, programming and initiatives.
11. Superintendent Messman reported on the following issues: strategic planning, ALP (Odesseyware), crisis management, P/T evaluations and legislative updates.
12. Other business: Julie Meyer brought up social media possibilities (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) for additional school district communication and promotion of events. No action taken.
13. Items for next meeting’s agenda:
City contract for the “Warrant” concert on August 10 (pending)
Fund balance and budget assumptions 2013-14
Enrollment projections, class size, and FTE comparison 2013-14
The meeting was adjourned at 8:47 p.m. on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, March 21, 2013.