School Board Proceedings Eden Valley-Watkins Public School #463 www.evw.k12.mn.us March 13, 2013
The Board of Education met in regular session on March 13, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. with Bob Flaschenriem, Shelley Kern, Sarah Kuechle, Julie Meyer, Bob Stenger, Jeremy Willner, and Superintendent Mark Messman present. Cathy Wuertz was also present. Members absent: JoAnn Rademacher.
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Sarah Kuechle.
The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
The agenda was approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
The consent agenda was approved on a motion by Shelley Kern and seconded by Jeremy Willner. Motion carried unanimously.
JoAnn Rademacher arrived at 6:34 p.m.
Items included in the consent agenda:
-Approved the minutes of the February 27, 2013, Regular School Board Meeting
-Approved a long-term substitute teacher contract with Allie Wendroth for elementary teacher (Cassy Lahr) effective approximately April 10, 2013, to approximately May 22, 2013
-Approved a long-term substitute teacher contract with Amanda Meierhofer for elementary EBD/LD teacher (Kayla Frericks) effective approximately
April 10, 2013, to approximately May 22, 2013
-Accepted a donation of $1,180.00 from Eagle Boosters for weight room dumbbells
-Accepted a donation of $100.00 from Eagle Boosters for science museum trip
-Accepted a donation of $300.00 from American Legion Post No. 381 for Girls State
-Accepted a donation of $300.00 from American Legion Auxiliary Post No. 381 for summer rec.
-Accepted a donation of $100.00 from Greg & Candy Henfling for the secondary high school
-Accepted a donation of $738.00 from Arvig for internet partnership
-Accepted a donation of $200.00 from Meeker County Corn Growers Association for FFA
-Notice of following Board Committee Meeting(s) (Board Room unless noted)
Construction at District Office on Thursdays at 1 p.m.
The March 13, 2013, bills, checks #55850 through #55928 electronic tax payments and P-card purchases, totaling $208,084.95 were presented and approved on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
GENERAL FUND 203,101.35
FOOD SERVICE 1,709.55
COMMUNITY EDUC. 2,409.40
BLDG CONSTRUCTION 864.65
A complete list of the bills is available in the District Office.
The following items of business were transacted:
1. Superintendent Mark Messman went over March enrollment numbers with current enrollment at 931 students. Enrollment continues to be steady.
2. Bruce Kiehn arrived at
3. Superintendent Mark Messman updated the board on the building construction, time frames and Phase II.
4. The Board approved purchasing the electronic Board-Book on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by Bob Flaschenriem. Motion carried unanimously.
5. The Board approved an MSBA-sponsored school board retreat and self-evaluation process to be held on Wednesday, May 1, 6:00 p.m., in the secondary school media center.
6. The Board approved the three-year quote for Odyssey-Ware online program for ALP and credit recovery on a motion by Jeremy Willner and seconded by Julie Meyer. Motion carried unanimously.
7. The Board reviewed the enrollment projections, trends and class sizes FY 2011-2018 which Superintendent Mark Messman presented to the Board.
8. Superintendent Mark Messman and Business Manager Cathy Wuertz went over the school fund balance history for the school district and budget assumptions for 2013-14. They provided information and potential scenarios on projected revenue, expenditures, and fund balance and discussed many intangibles with the Board.
9. The following board committee reports were given:
Sunshine Committee was given by Julie Meyer.
IMPACT Committee, per Julie Meyer, had nothing new to report.
Other: Julie Meyer reported that Community Ed. will be meeting this Monday, March 18, at
7 p.m. in the District Boardroom.
10. Secondary Principal Bruce Kiehn reported on secondary progress, programming and initiatives.
11. Superintendent Messman reported on strategic planning, Affordable Care Act, crisis management, P/T evaluations and legislative updates.
12. Other business: Social Media communications were discussed.
13. Items for April’s meeting agenda:
A. City Contract for “Warrant” Concert (pending)
B. Building Project and Phase II Updates
C. Continued Discussions on Budgets and Assumptions
D. SW/WC Service Cooperative Agreements and Contracts
E. Resource Training & Solutions Agreements and Contracts
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m. on a motion by Julie Meyer and seconded by JoAnn Rademacher. Motion carried unanimously.
JoAnn Rademacher, CLERK
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, April 18, 2013.