Tricounty News

Civil War digest: This week 150 years ago Sept 30-Oct. 6, 1863

Major highlights for the week

Wednesday, Sept. 30, 1863

Skirmishes occurred at Cotton Port Ford, Tenn., along with Neersville and Woodville, Va., plus the destruction of a Confederate salt works at Back Bay, Va. Mild bombardment of Fort Sumter continued in Charleston Harbor.

Thursday, Oct. 1, 1863

In cavalry operations around Chattanooga, Tenn., Major General Joseph Wheeler’s Confederate forces fought at Mountain Gap near Smiths’s Crossroads, and also captured a large Federal wagon train. From Nashville, President Abraham Lincoln was informed that all the 11th and part of the 12th Corps en route to the Chattanooga area had passed through the Tennessee capital.

In Virginia, investigations and skirmishing occurred near Culpeper Courthouse, Auburn and Lewisville. Fighting also broke out at Elizabethtown, Ark., and near Harper’s Ferry, W.V.

Friday, Oct. 2, 1863

As Federal troops arrived at Bridgeport, Ala., from the Army of the Potomac, a skirmish flared near besieged Chattanooga. Fighting also erupted at Pitt’s Crossroads in the Sequatchie Valley, Anderson’s Crossroads, Valley Road near Jasper, and near Dunlap, Tenn., all part of Major General Joseph Wheeler’s annoying Confederate cavalry raid. Within a few days about 20,000 men and 3,000 horses and mules under Federal Major General Joseph Hooker arrived at Bridgeport, Tenn., having traveled 1,159 miles in seven to nine days. Nevertheless, the pressure mounted as Major General William Rosecrans’s food supplies dwindled. Confederates controlled the Tennessee River to the city, all roads on the south side, and the important road to Bridgeport north of the river. The only open road was a mountainous trail over Walden’s Ridge and through Sequatchie Valley.

Saturday, Oct. 3, 1863

On the Gulf Coast near New Orleans, La., Federal Major General Nathaniel P. Banks attempted once more to gain a foothold in Texas following the failure at Sabine Pass. This time, Major General William B. Franklin’s troops moved westward from Berwick Bay and New Iberia, La., in what is known as the Bayou Teche Campaign. The campaign lasted well into November but failed to reach the Sabine Pass.

The six-day secondary bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor, S.C., from Morris Island ended after 560 shots. Confederate batteries on James and Sullivan’s Islands responded irregularly to the Federal fire.

Sunday, Oct. 4, 1863

The Confederate cavalry invasion of Missouri, led by Brigadier General Joseph “Jo” Shelby, pressed northward from the southern part of the state. There was action at Neosho, and skirmishing at Widow Wheeler’s, Oregon or Bower’s Mill, Mo.

Major General Joseph Wheeler’s Confederate cavalry, having taken McMinnville, Tenn., skirmished nearby.

In the Federal Bayou Teche Campaign, an affair occurred at Nelson’s Bridge near New Iberia, La.

In Virginia, a six-day Federal expedition moved from Yorktown into Matthews County.

Monday, Oct. 5, 1863

At 10 p.m. on a hazy night, a cigar-shaped, steam-driven vessel, barely visible above the waterline, moved out of Charleston Harbor toward the formidable Federal fleet. Approaching the mighty ironclad U.S.S. New Ironsides, the torpedo boat C.S.S. David, under Confederate Commodore W.T. Glassell, thrust her torpedo at the side of the Federal warship. A tremendous blast and a fountain of water caused considerable surprise and consternation aboard the Federal vessel. The four-man Confederate crew of the C.S.S. David fought for life in their newly swamped vessel. The U.S.S. New Ironsides suffered severely, although not critically, from the torpedo. Federal authorities now recognized a new force in naval warfare. Glassell and one crewman were captured, but the other two managed to rekindle the fires in the C.S.S. David and bring her back to Charleston.

Tuesday, Oct. 6, 1863

Confederate Major General Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry continued to cause trouble in Tennessee, this time with skirmishing at Christiana, Readyville, Wartrace, and Garrison’s Creek near Fosterville, Tenn.

Confederate Brigadier General Jo Shelby’s men were engaged at Humansville, Mo.

Where Minnesota Regiments were the week of Sept. 30-Oct. 6, 1863

1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – Rejoined the Army of the Potomac near Culpeper, Va., where it remained until Oct. 9, 1863.

2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On duty in the Siege of Chattanooga, Tenn., until Nov. 23, 1863.

3rd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – Participated in the capture of Little Rock, Ark., where they remained for garrison duty until April 28, 1864.

4th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On garrison duty at Helena, Ark., until Oct. 6, 1863.

5th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On duty at Bear Creek, Miss., until Oct. 14, 1863.

6th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On garrison duty in Minnesota until June 9, 1864.

7th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On garrison duty in Minnesota until Oct. 7, 1863.

8th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On garrison duty in Minnesota until May 24, 1864.

9th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On furlough until Oct. 3, 1863.

10th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry – On garrison duty in Minnesota until Oct. 7, 1863.

1st Regiment Minnesota Cavalry “Mounted Rangers” – On duty at Fort Ripley and Fort Snelling until Dec. 7, 1863.

Brackett’s Battalion of Minnesota Cavalry – On duty in McMinnville, Tenn., until Sept. 30, 1863.

Hatch’s Independent Battalion of Cavalry – Organized at Fort Snelling and St. Paul. Companies A, B, C and D mustered in. On duty at Fort Snelling until Oct. 5, 1863.

1st Minnesota Light Artillery Battery – On duty at Vicksburg, Miss., until April 4, 1864.

2nd Independent Battery, Minnesota Light Artillery – On duty in the Siege of Chattanooga, Tenn., until Nov. 23, 1863.

3rd Battery, Minnesota Light Artillery – Four sections on duty at Pembina, Fort Ripley, Fort Ridgely and Fort Snelling until June 5, 1864.

2nd United States Sharpshooters, Company A – On duty in Virginia until October 1863.