On the 25th anniversary of his business in Kimball - 1953 Reprinted from the Tri-County News July 11, 2002. Andrew M. Maus started a business in Kimball in 1928 when he moved to Kimball from Watkins with his wife Mary and his three oldest children Rosalia, Fabiola and Andriette. At that time the Standard Oil station, which is still a part of this place of business, was constructed. Both Mr. and Mrs. Maus were born and raised in Watkins, and were married there. Mr. Maus attended St. John’s University where he took a business course. He was first employed at Ehler’s store in Watkins, and later worked in the bank there.
On the 25th anniversary of his business in Kimball - 1953
Reprinted from the Tri-County News July 11, 2002.
Andrew M. Maus started a business in Kimball in 1928 when he moved to Kimball from Watkins with his wife Mary and his three oldest children Rosalia, Fabiola and Andriette. At that time the Standard Oil station, which is still a part of this place of business, was constructed.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Maus were born and raised in Watkins, and were married there. Mr. Maus attended St. John’s University where he took a business course. He was first employed at Ehler’s store in Watkins, and later worked in the bank there.
At first the family lived in Kimball at the priest’s house, where Mrs. Maus acted as housekeeper. They then moved to the house now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. N.A. Brown, where they lived until 1947 when the house they now occupy was built.
During about the first 15 years of the time that Mr. Maus was in business here, Mrs. Maus spent a considerable amount of her time at the station helping her husband. Five more children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Maus in Kimball – Mary Helen, Cecilia, Andrew Jr., Aurinee and Tommy. Only two of the children, Aurinee and Tommy, are still at home. Andy Jr. is a senior at St. John’s Prep school; Cecilia is a nurse at the Staples hospital; Mary Helen is a nurse at the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C.; Andriette is now Mrs. LeRoy Palm and lives in Red Wing; Fabiola is now Mrs. John Sullivan and lives in Minneapolis; and Rosalia is
Mrs. Raymond Murray and their home is in Washington, D.C. All of the children, with the exception of Tommy, have assisted their father at their place of business.
The actual date of the opening of Maus’ business was
Feb. 15, 1928, when he handled only the products of the Standard Oil Company. In April and May of that year, an addition was built to give room to buy cream and eggs for the North American Creameries Inc. and also to sell Purina feeds.
In 1930, he started to handle Jamesway barn equipment and Surge milkers. In 1939, the building was extended backwards to occupy the full lot. The first enclosed pit was built to make it possible to handle general car repair in 1941. Bernard Boggs was first employed to assist in this work. In 1942, he employed “Babe” Stelton to work as a mechanic, and he continued to work there for about four years.
In 1945, a cement block pit was built which was designed to be large enough for trucks, and a new platform was laid by Leo Kunkel. Shortly after this improvement was made, Ray Zahler was hired and has been employed there ever since.
The agency for the DeSoto-Plymouth cars was assumed in 1946, and during that year electrical appliances were also added. These have been secured through the Campbell-Stenson Co. in
St. Paul. Ed Wylie was employed for a short period – about two years.
During the summer of 1948, the present showroom for cars and for Allis-Chalmers implements was built. The dealership for Allis-Chalmers machinery was assumed at that time. The garage and storage space were also enlarged at that time. The first pit was closed to be used as a parts department, and the cream and egg agency was discontinued.
Just last year, in 1952, the interior of the first building constructed was remodeled, redecorated and rearranged to be as it is at present.
A salesman was employed a month ago to sell Allis Chalmers machiner. Darrell Curtis helps out at the shop on a part-time basis.
Through the years of building his business in Kimball, Mr. Maus has won for himself among those with whom he transacted business the reputation of being honest and sincere, a man who can be trusted.
Mr. Maus just observed his 53rd birthday on Jan. 26. His friends wish him many more years of continued success and growth in his business in the years that lie ahead.
* * * * * * *
Editor’s note: The story above was from 1953. At present, the business begun by Andrew Maus is in its 85th year as A.M. Maus and Son Inc.
* * * * * * *
Stirring up memories, Michael Stanley brought back a lot of memories as announced, from before, during and after the 1950s and 1960s, true to the era. The stories of this incredible family began. If you were there, you were either a relative, lifelong friend or new acqaintance who thoroughly enjoyed such a time as this, complete with pictures. You won’t want to miss the Tuesday, Nov. 12, Annual Holiday Potluck social at City Hall, 6 p.m., bring a dish to pass, everything else is furnished. There is no charge. You also won’t want to miss the 2014 events beginning March 25, with an all-new story by historian/author Bill Morgan. So watch for these right here. Or pick up the schedule on Nov. 12.
Thanks to all Kimball Area Historical Society volunteers and contributors.
What’s old is new again (sometimes something finally completed feels as if it has always been there.) Things have a way of coming back around.