The Kimball City Hall, originally Kimball Prairie Village Hall, was named by the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota (PAM) as one of 18 successfully revitalized civic landmarks in the state. Eighteen sites are representative of a wide range of historic projects completed in Minnesota.
Preservation or demolition of historic sites and landmarks pose difficult decisions for communities. According to the PAM brochure, “Choosing rehabilitation instead of demolition will provide long-term rewards for communities and benefit all Minnesotans through our strengthened Civic Legacy.”
An exhibit of banners depicting each of the 18 sites will be provided by the Preservation Alliance to display in the year ahead. In an ambitious project spanning seven years and six phases, the 1908 original Kimball Prairie Village Hall and Kimball City Hall is the only City Hall in Stearns County on the National Register of Historic Places still in full use as a City Hall.
Other sites named were the Dassel History Center & Ergot Museum; Thief River Falls City Hall and Carnegie Library; Big Fork City Hall; Old Central School Marketplace, Grand Rapids; Todd County Courthouse, Long Prairie; Little Falls Carnegie Library; Paramount Theater, St. Cloud; Atwater City Offices; Acoma Town Hall; Glencoe City Center; Willkommen Park Pavilion, Norwood-Young America; Lepak/Larson Historic Farmhouse, Shoreview; Landmark Center, St. Paul; Central park Condominiums, Red Wing; Residences of Old City Hall, Rochester; New Richland Library; Red Rock Center for the Arts, Fairmont. The Kimball Area Historical Society sponsored the fundraising and thank all who donated.