Monday, March 11, the Kimball Area High School Junior and Senior Band performed their winter concert under the direction of Keith Haake.
Mr. Haake has selected various styles of music to give his students an experience of tempo, range, themes, and challenges. The students even experienced a sampling of opera literature.
The Junior High Band presented:
• “Tribute and Triumph” by David Shaffer
• “An English Celebration” by James Swearingen with solos by Caitlin O’Brien on the flute and Maicy Vossen on clarinet
• “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” by Elton John, arranged by Johnnie Vinson, (remember The Lion King movie?)
• “Raiders March” (of Indiana Jones fame) by John Williams, arranged by Paul Lavender
• “Sons of Liberty” by Larry Neeck, with snare drum solo by Monte Albert
Senior High Band presented:
• “America, the Beautiful” by Samuel Augustus Ward, a stunning arrangement by Carmen Dragon that has been performed by bands and ensembles almost as many times as our national anthem
• “Devonshire Overture” by James Ployhar
• “On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss” by David Holsinger; a piece full of the emotion and flavor of the beloved hymn “It is Well With My Soul”
• “Les Miserables” by Claude-Michel Schonberg, arranged by Warren Barker. Soloists were Austin Roerick on trumpet, Tessa Mackereth on flute, and Ashlee Alrich on tenor sax.
The band members will soon be going to solo and ensemble contest, followed by a trip to Chicago.